This are moving apace with the van and the time for laying on the new paint draws ever closer. I’ve already painted a sample of some of the paint by doing the engine housing and my newly fabricated seat swivel bases. The original seat mount were made from 3mm steel plate which was really too weak, leading to the seats being somewhat wobbly. A bit disconcerting whilst driving! So I built new ones using 8mm plate and replaced the original square mounting posts with round ones as I figured it’d look nicer. I also incorporated the seatbelt buckle mount into the seat base too and replaced the original stud and nut floor mounting with countersunk hex bolts so that I can lay the carpet over the base, right up to the post.
The seat bases and engine housing provided a great opportunity to test out the base colour for the van so I chucked on some Solar Gold Pearl basecoat from House of Kolor with half a dozen coats of gold flake over the top, finished with another half dozen clearcoats on top. Inside, I’ve yet to paint the dash, pillars and the insides of the doors. The dash will also be getting a bit of airbrushing with orange and brown Kandy. Orange and Brown flake is also involved in the final job, along with some more gold pearl, kandy and, well you’ll just have to wait and see.
To get a bit of an idea of how the interior might look I slipped in my newly acquired moulded carpet set which I bought from the States. Orange carpet! It’s gonna look sweet alongside the brown fur!